Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
Pulled the trigger on K5 replacement
Apr 29, 2012

I have posted a while ago on this forum and as a dy hard Pentax k7/k5 body and feature fan I still visit you guys regularly after having parted with the k 5 last year due to the low / artificial light front focus issue that I could not solve .

I have been photographin my bit with the small back up camera I had ( anon S95) in the time frame between my sad departure fro the k5 till last friday.

I played around with a SONY A57 combined with a 16-50 2.8 sony lense from a friend of mine and was soo surprised by the handling and af accuracy that I pulled the trigger and bought one myselve.

Not to offend any Pentax owner but I just want to describe the differences good and bad between the 2 systems.. By rhe way I shot the K5 with the tamron non vc 17-55 2.8 .

The sony A57 is rather toyish built compared to the K 5. Solid but not in a way that you want touchnthe housing all the time as I did with the K5. Good grip and comparable size though. Features like mode button and the lack of the twin wheels do give a more amature profile to the Sony.
BUT...
Now the good part for the SONY.

1) much better AF performance in LOW OR ARTIFICIAL light circumstances. Spot on every time however I tried to fool it. Here maybe the lens plays a roll as the sony lens is considered to be fast and precise with af.

2) great advantage being able to have the same fast af on screen due to fixed mirror.

Screen af on all other dslr switch to contrast detect in screen mode and this still sucks .
3) 12 fps !

4) jpeg engine is better in colour rendering. ( both have wb adjustment but SONY 's new engine seems to nail it !) most probably same sensor though in both cameras.

5) swivel screen ( for some of us a nice feature and once you have it younwill appreciate it also for making stills. ( less crrawling on the ground and clear view onnwhat you do when making pics overhead)

6)evf is real match for exellent ovf on K5. Advantages and disadvantages have been discussed extensively on this forum but a57 evf is surely good enough for framing and you have all info you might want in viewfinder.

Maybe I forget to mention a few issues in this mail but the aim of it is that by thinking out of the box I found that SONY has been able to create a damn good affordable camera that is good in soo many aspect that I can say that there should be no hesistance to give this combo a try as a repacement for any apsc camera on the market. ( if waterproof housing is not essential for you).

If only PENTAX would get a grip on their af system and AF on screen would get usable in a way I will consider to return due to being a PENTAX fanboy but till then the SONY A57 blows the K5 out of the water in many aspects.
WORK TO BE DONE PENTAX, YOU ARE LOSING GROUND RAPIDLY !

Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow