D800 & LensAlign

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Stangs55
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: D800 & LensAlign
In reply to Stangs55, Apr 29, 2012

First of all, thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Since the 70-200 looked like garbage, I've just redone all the tests and added my 105mm 2.8 macro to the mix.

What I think I'm seeing is a touch of back focus on the 24-70, a moderate amount on the 105....but the 70-200...oh my...

So several people previously suggested that the 70-200 looked off to them and that I may not have been using a stable rest. So when I redid everything, I took every precaution, leveled everything, set it to a timer delay, and repeated the test multiple times.

Well the 70-200 continued to look like garbage no matter what I did...so then I just started to wonder if it was just my lens at 2.8, so I stopped it down to f/8 and kept the ISO the same so that I'd have to slow down the shutter speed even further (thinking that this would exaggerate any motion if that was indeed the problem). Well the f/8 shot looks crisp. Now, I understand that 2.8 will never be as sharp as f/8...but this difference just seems ridiculous to me. Is something wrong with this lens?

Thoughts?

24-70 at 2.8
Test #1

Test #2

Test #1 + Find Edges in CS5

Test #1 + Emboss

-- hide signature --

Onto the Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR Macro--

--And now the 70-200 VR I....
At f/2.8

At f/8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow