ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brond1
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
M9 + X Pro 1 Advice for the troubled...please
Apr 29, 2012

I'd be very grateful for any advice:

I'm a professional news video cameraman and get the chance to go to some amazing places and situations.

I am very keen on taking stills while on location, which I sometimes have to "steal" as it is not necessarily part of the job, tho often they do get onto my employers website.

The video camera, tripod etc are large and heavy. My stills camera has to be smallish.

For the last two years I've used a Samsung NX10, mainly with a 30mm equivalent pancake on a pouch at my waist. Bigger than a compact, but better quality and more adjustable. I really like the 35mm focal length feel.

A 5D etc type DSLR is simply too large to carry.. and I prefer the prime lens, manual shooting thing anyway.

For some time I have been thinking about trading up to an M9 plus probably a 35 summicron. I've rented one for a weekend and last week had a friendly one to one run through at the Mayfair shop. The camera feels great, tho a touch heavy. The image quality is on a different planet form the samsung.

I came away thinking. I want one.. and will buy second hand body and second hand lux to improve low light chances. Then I read about focus breathing issues with non fle lux lenses. And the expense of a new lux freaked me out.

Then on Samsung forum a Leica owner re-kindled my interest in the X-pro1 which he has just bought. I had handled one and found it boxy and hollow while baulking at fly by wire for manual focussing.

I want build quality, really good image quality, intuitive handling, compact size. I think i could go up to £5.5 ie second hand M9 + ?but am worried about low light performance and expense/complication of 1.4 ownership.

Would an Xpro1 plus a second hand 24mm elmar or even (crazy?) lux be a better or stupid idea. It would give room for an M10/11 somewhere down the years.

I apologise for rambling: I think my question is: will the M9 be an expensive millstone because of poorer low light capacity.. especially for someone for whom this would be a big big stretch to buy? And, of course the Leica image quality feels fantastic.. but given that I do not use a 5D or D3 etc does that mean that an X-Pro1 image might seem a big enough jump to me?

If you have a moment to look at my flickr it gives and idea of the sort of situation I want to use my new camera in.

Many thanks

Brond1's gear list:Brond1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow