Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EdW66
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
new SB910 speedlight - Am I missing something
Apr 29, 2012

I've also posted this in the Nikon Talk forum (which a recent post suggests is for compacts), and the lighting techniques as I'm not sure which one this fits, so apologies for anyone who's reading this twice!

I've just purchased the above flash gun from Amazon UK - it was sold on behalf of another trader by Amazon, and I have some reservations about my sample, as it had a few issues that made me think it was a restocked item, for example a barcode sticker on the box, over the top of a previous sticker, which states the item and the word "new" - why would it say new...surely it wouldn't say anything and you would just assume it was new? there was also a smear on the lens which looked like a finger print

Anyway, the price was good so I'm considering keeping it but after some test shots I'm not entirely sure I trust it. I've taken some images with the diffusion cap fitted, which is how i would use it for weddings,and it seems to quite severely underexpose the image. I'm aware that the diffusion cap will reduce the light, but surely the preflash adjusts for this? I've also taken the exact same image using the same camera and settings with my SB800, again with the diffusion cap fitted and that exposes OK.

Am I missing something, I've ensured the illumination pattern is set to standard and I'm aware that fitting the cap sets the zoom head to 14mm, but this is the same as the SB800 which is exposing correctly - I'm also aware that I could just adjust the EV compensation, but as I don't need to do this on the SB800, it seems bizzare that the later model would be less intuitive. Is this just a feature of the SB910, or do I have a faulty sample?

I know there are better diffusers out there than the supplied one, but I'd prefer not to get into a discussion about that, but my question is whether there's a setting I'm missing in the menu that's causing the underexposure only when the cap is fitted (I've checked the manual but nothing stands out and I have hit the reset in the menu in case something has been erroneously set) As I say, I'm considering returning it as I'm now wondering if it is faulty and has already been returned, Can anyone who has the SB910 and uses the diffusion cap tell me if they have noted a substantial difference in exposure

I don't want to return this sample, order another one only to find that I've got something set wrong, so any information very gratefully received!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow