SOLVED: D800 "left autofocus" issue

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
wl7
wl7
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: SOLVED: D800 "left autofocus" issue
In reply to Lordsegan, Apr 29, 2012

To be honest, that's a ridiculous claim to make. You haven't solved the problem at all. The outer AF points of the 51 point AF have never been cross sensitive. It's been that way for years now. Anyways, it wouldn't explain why the right AF point was fine, but the left was bad.

Lordsegan wrote:

I believe I have solved the issue people are having with the outer autofocus points on the D800.

I started by shooting vertical and horizontal lines. I found that the D800 will simply NOT focus on vertical lines when it is in normal orientation using the outer AF points. The only AF points that can detect/focus on vertical lines are the 15-center most AF points.

Look here to see which AF points can focus on vertical lines: http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=330&pg=1&mem=&arc=0

Also here:

So I think most of you who are having problems are people who shooting vertical targets with your D800 using the outer AF points. From what I can tell, this behavior is "by design."

wl7's gear list:wl7's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow