5D3 owner rents a D800

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Malcolm L
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237
Like?
I'm going with both systems
In reply to Jeff Palmucci, Apr 29, 2012

Thanks for a good write-up and follow-up comments. We need a lot more of this kind of commentary here!

Currently I carry the original 5D and a MKII. I got a Nikon 14-24 a while back and keep that on the 5D and swap the 24-70 2.8L and the 70-200 2.8L on the MKII. The weight doesn't bother me.

Along comes the MKIII and I initially ordered one. After evaluating my needs I decided to get a D800E and keep the 14-24 on it. Great lens, by the way, just a bit fiddly to use on a Canon body.

I think for my needs (principally landscapes taken on tripod) the D800E will offer significantly more detail on large prints - I'm hoping anyway. No, it won't make me a better photographer by itself but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

So, I see no conflict with having both systems. In another thread someone said it took weeks to learn a new camera. Hummm.... I think I would be pushing it to say it takes me more than a day? Once a gearhead, always a gearhead - just the way I'm wired

Malcolm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow