NEX-7: Sensor dust

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
oswd
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: NEX-7: Sensor dust
In reply to oswd, Apr 29, 2012

Thank you for the opinions and advice given in this thread. Here is the conclusion of my story:

As my NEX-7 was brand new, I delivered it to dust cleaning via the reseller. I expected that they would send the camera to the company who takes care of Sony repairs in Finland. However, when I got the camera back, it turned out that it had visited "Sony's own" service in Sweden.

I was never explained why simple dust cleaning requires sending the camera to another country. The summary of the repairs only mentioned that "optics had been adjusted". I don't quite understand why it is necessary to adjust optics to remove dust from the sensor. In any case, the moving parts of the lens seem to be lighter to adjust now than before.

When I got back home from the store, I performed some initial tests immediately. I was disappointed to see that there were some black dots visible even through the EVF. Two days after this, I took my first actual test shots. Here are some of the results:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/616321/NEX7-20120426.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/616321/NEX7-20120426-enhanced.jpg

This is not acceptable. Just in two days camera had gathered more dust on the sensor than a traditional DSLR gathers during many months or even years of operation. (Of course it is possible that the dust had never been removed from the sensor at all.)

I am not able to say whether this is a design flaw in NEX-7 (some reviews mention the camera being a dust magnet) or just a specific problem with my unit. In any case, I have now agreed to return the camera to the store and I have yet to decide whether I will try again with another NEX-7 unit or buy something else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow