Zeiss 100/2 Macro as fast portrait lens.

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,941
Like?
Zeiss 100/2 Macro as fast portrait lens.
Apr 29, 2012

I'm buying a D800 (or at least hope that I am). I'm used to the Canon lens selection, and one of their really good, economical lenses is the 100/2. There really is no clear Nikon alternative. The new 85/1.8G looks good, but I like that extra 15mm. I looked at the 105/2 DC, and started a thread but this lens is relatively expensive, although it looks to be pretty good. Now I've started musing about a Zeiss 100/2 ZF.2. OK, even more expensive, but will also cover macro needs as well as short tele. It is in addition just about the sharpest lens you can buy. But, no AF.

So, the question is how useable is a MF lens with focus assist from the AF system? I have no experience of this. I'm, used to MF cameras, but I don't think it's possible to get critical focus with a high brightness screen with no focus aids. Nor is it practical to use LV for normal shooting. I have no issues with twisting the focus ring myself, I'm just wondering how quick it is in practice using focus assist? If it works well, this lens might be a good compromise.
--
Bob

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow