Lens Filter Holder?

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,066Gear list
Like?
You'll be happy with Cokin P type...
In reply to SmallTownUSA, Apr 29, 2012

Cokin P type holder is a good choice - both functional and inexpensive.

On the filters themselves, I'll echo what someone else has already said about purchasing HiTech filters instead of Cokin. The Hitech are good quality and won't break the bank.

When you are shooting landscapes, there is no substitute for neutral density filters and using them will save you a ton of grief. Often you find that the sky is about 2 stops brighter than the foreground of the image. A graduated, soft edge 2 stop ND is the perfect tool for this situation and that's why the 2-stop is the most common one. With the Cokin P type holder, you can also stack up to 3 filters if you need to.

Just be sure you get the filter holder to fit whichever one of your lenses has the largest front element. Then you can add inexpensive adapter rings to also use it on smaller lenses as well.

I am using this exact setup and my only regret is that I didn't look into ND filters sooner. You can get much better results with a ND filter than you ever will shooting multiple exposures without one and trying to blend them.

With ND filters, you can get expsoures with much longer shutter speeds on subjects like moving water to get those dreamy waterfall shots you've always marvelled at.

SmallTownUSA wrote:

Thanks for all the useful info. Think I will go with the Cokin P series adapter/holder.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow