Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kev4101
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Sony Nex-5N with other lenses?
Apr 29, 2012

Hi! Not being savvy with the technical side of photography, I'm hoping for some ideas from wiser heads...

Camera
Sony Nex-5N (I'm looking into buying this)

Preference

Having happily travelled and snapped with a Cannon S5, I like being able go straight from portrait to 12x zoom without having to fiddle with lens swapping. Also, I prefer not to have to do all that handling given the scope for accidents and more importantly, missing the shot (every photographer's angst).

Problem

As far as I can tell, the Nex-5N's SEL1855 goes from "portrait" to 3x zoom. Should I wish to go to 11-12x zoom, I have to swap over to its SEL55210. Furthermore, the SEL55210 seems to start "zoomed" at 3x?

Solution?

Get a compatible lens which can go from portrait to 12x zoom or more? Is there such a lens or adaptor+lens for the Nex-5N? It is my understanding that the Nex-5N doesn't have inbuilt image stabilisation and since one of my reasons for buying it is its fabulous low light performance, I suppose this narrows my choices down to lenses which have their own image stablisation?

Also, I suppose there will be "loss of functions" (auto-focus, auto-aperture) in using lenses that haven't been made by Sony and specifically for the Nex-5N?

Thanks for you help with the above questions.

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow