Need Leica Help...

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Csaba Farkas
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: Need Leica Help...
In reply to Peter Sills, Apr 29, 2012

I use Leica lenses made in the 80s and 90s. They are absolutely amazingly terrific. Some of them way outperform current lenses, in mechanical construction for sure. Read Ken Rockwell's tests.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/lens-reviews.htm

My two cents: decide which focal length is for you and hunt for a good used lens within your budget range. I'd recommend a 35/f2 ASPH. (albeit I shoot the older, non-asph. version happily), or a 50/2 Summicron. I shoot these two, say 60/35% of the time. The rest 5% is divided between 90/2.8 Elmarit (killer portrait lens), 28/2.8 Elmarit (for architecture, landscape), and occasionally a 21/4 Voigtlander, 135/3.5 LTM Canon, 50/1.4 LTM Canon and a few other oddities with adapters. But none of them match up to the 'crons. Third party lenses (VC and Canon, Zeiss) are fun to experiment, nothing more. I shot once with a 75mm VC, I sold it immediately. The 'crons will be buried with me.

35mm and 50mm are the most useful and best focal lengths for Leica M, so get the best you can afford for these two. I personally would not shell out for a Summilux, focusing is hard enough for the 'crons (except with a 0.85 M6, which is a dream compared to the M9

Do not buy too many lenses. If I started to assemble my kit again, I'd go for 35 ASPH and 50 Summicrons, 90/4 Macro Elmar kit, and the 21/4 Voigtlander, or a 24mm Elmarit if wide angle is the thing that turns me on. In that order. That's just about it.
Have fun.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow