Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,404Gear list
Like?
Wrong Forum. Clear the air?
Apr 29, 2012

Perhaps we could discuss this, as it seems to be a common and sometimes heated topic. Hopefully we can keep it civil and productive.

Facts: “Nikon Talk” is poorly named. After clicking on the forum title it's very easy to miss the fine print that reads, “Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras.” There are forums that are specific for Nikon DSLR's as well as “Nikon SLR Lens Talk.”

My opinions: I simply don't care where anyone posts anything. I believe that if you answer a post but not to address the subject, you're either posting to help or hurt. When I let someone know they posted in the wrong forum, it's just to help. I put myself in the OP's position. Let's say I made this easy-to-make mistake. Now I might get one or two replies from people who probably have more knowledge about compact cameras than my DSLR (if I get any replies at all.) There's no doubt in my mind that I would appreciate having someone keep me from making the same mistake again.

Even if the post is just to show off a photo with the OP's new D700, it's still in the “Nikon compact camera” forum and few here will care to comment. He can get more (and more relevant) comments in the D700 forum. Whatever the OP posts about, I doubt very much if he would post here knowing that the forum is relative to compact cameras.

I usually have better things to do, but when I check in and see someone made an error, I think my time is well spent to steer that person in the right direction. Lets face it, this isn't Grand Central Station – most any time there are five days worth of posts on the first page. It's easy to pick out the one or two who failed to read the fine print. But I don't usually have the time to complement them on the photo, critique it, and politely explain that they are welcome here anytime but they might want to consider the appropriate forum next time. I'm not rude, but “to-the-point” may seem rude to some people. That's your issue, not mine.

I will continue to let people know they are not in the best forum for their subject. My opinion is that it's hurtful to just ignore the post and allow the OP to wonder why no one cares to reply.

-- hide signature --

Larry
http://www.pbase.com/fernley

I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow