Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Why the OM-D is better in low light than any other camera
Apr 29, 2012

Sounds silly given the high-ISO performance of full-frame cameras, but under many real world conditions the OM-D is the front-runner in low light photography:

Why:

1) Full-frame camera lenses are largely based on film camera designs are subject to more sensor light loss than m43 lenses because of the design of m43 lenses. See: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Insights/F-stop-blues

ii) For those with either of the Nokton f0.95s, you can test this quite simply just by putting the camera on A or M and looking at the exposure while turning the aperture ring. My quick tests shows something around only a 0.2ev loss only at f0.95.

2) Availability of f0.95 lenses at a price that means people actually own them.

3) IBIS certainly provides some advantage in circumstances where motion blur isn't an issue or is desired. No one makes fast IS stabilised primes.

4) More useable DoF in low light, where we are generally trying to get more DoF, not less.

Sum:
1) 0.4 - 0.8 EV advantage to OM-D because of lens/sensor design.

2) 0.5 - 1.0 EV advantage to OM-D because of speed of available lenses (25mm f/0.95, 17.5mm f/0.95)

3) 1.0-4.0 EV advantage to OM-D because of IBIS (my guess is that it's probably about 3 stops)
4) 2 EV advantage to OM-D for DoF.

That's a lot of EV advantage to the OM-D. I'll give 2 EVs to full-frame ISO.

Notes:

1) at high ISO any softness in the f/0.95 when used wide open will be lost within the noise and becomes a non-issue;

2) there's little point in discussing fast $11,000 Leica lenses because no one actually owns these :-);

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YawnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow