Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Reybabes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,467
Like?
The EM5 - color me impressed (images)
Apr 28, 2012

I was vacillating back and forth. XPro1 or OMD? Different animals and I had no right pairing them in the same dilemma... but there it was. State-of-the-art mirrorless right here and right now. So, on the preorder list for both I went.

When the XPro1 came calling (or more precisely, B&H came calling), I responded. The XPro is a wonder and I really liked it out of the gate. So much so that I immediately cancelled the silver OMD on order and away I went. But the nagging whisper didn't fade.

I found the XPro to be a capable shooter, with pleasing and just about perfect ergonomics, enough so to make me think that it's time to bid farewell to my trusty and much respected X100. The XPro is, after all, the same beast only with an improved interface and the ability to swap lenses. It's good I cancelled the preorder on the Oly, I told myself.

Then a few days ago, the email came: OMD shipped. Shipped? I had the confirmation of my preorder cancellation, but there must have been a snafu in the system and so on its way to my door it was. I'll just send it back, box unopened, I told myself.

The next day (I live a day's UPS truck drive away from Manhattan), the box arrived. Maybe I should just open the box and take a look? Maybe I should just see how the silver body catches my fancy?

You can guess the end of this story.

I've been putting it through its paces and... now I have a dilemma (of the first world variety, for sure).

The bottom line is I'm slightly blown away by this thing. AF fast. Ergonomics and more (including built in EVF, touch shutter, dual command dial, side loading SD slot... it's the little things... ability to pop the 12-50 into macro mode for a quick close focus opportunity, weather sealing, etc.) have made this a tough one.

I've given myself one week to decide. The funny thing is that I'm off to Phoenix tomorrow and a one day side trip to Sedona for some hiking. I had planned on happily taking the XPro but now that the EM5 is in my possession, it's a tougher call, though I'm leaning toward the Olympus so that I can bring a wider lens.

Will post some Sedona shots and a verdict when I'm back.

Rey

-- hide signature --

The best things in life aren't things...
http://500px.com/reyspadoni

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow