Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,015Gear list
Like?
1D Mark IV Exposure Oddity
Apr 28, 2012

I have a relatively new 1D Mark IV (still under warranty with about 9500 shutter count). Today when shooting sharp tailed grouse in the high speed drive mode, if I shot a burst of two images in a row, the second image would have a shutter speed 1-2 stops slower/ overexposed. This only happened when the camera was idle for about 5 minutes. If I was using the camera continuously, the exposures were fine; in a burst of 2-10 images all would be exactly the same exposure. If I shot bursts then waited for a couple of minutes between the bursts, again the exposures would be identical. But if I waited for 5 or longer minutes between the bursts, the first image would be fine, the second image would be overexposed and remaining images in the burst would be correctly exposed. I wasn't using exposure bracketing. Camera was in Av. I tried two different lenses and got the same results. I reset the camera to its as-shipped configuration and still had the problem. I took out the battery and reinserted it and still had the problem. I've got another couple days of shooting before I can call Canon. Any suggestions what I can do in the meantime?

Thanks.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow