Got the call...do I pull the trigger?

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
Re: Got the call...do I pull the trigger?
In reply to David H Dennis, Apr 28, 2012

David wrote:

Well, how often do you use the left focus point using a wide-angle lens on subjects that are in the mid to far distance from the camera?

That reasoning does not work for me. I'd want a $3,000 camera in working order, even if I was never using the leftmost sensor. First for the principle, second my way of shooting may evolve, third I'd hate to think what it would to the camera's value the day you want to sell it with an AF sensor which does not work as it should.

After reading all the posts and sifting all the evidence, I think this is a problem that exists on almost all cameras, and is an artifact of the design of the sensor. A fix may not be possible.

Several posters have reported that the problem was fixed for them.

However, it doesn't sound like a problem that's nearly as important as all the hysteria is around the issue. Cameras are tools, and as our creations they are seldom perfect. You invariably have to work around flaws, however many there are.

There is a world of difference between a flaw because a camera cannot do everything we want from it, and one that's from faulty manufacturing. And I don't see how the imperfection of our pictures excuses Nikon from delivering a camera that works as advertised.

If this particular flaw is serious, I'm sure Nikon will have a fix that will be announced.

Hopefully Nikon has learned from Canon's past mistake (1DMkIII).

Nobody at Nikon wants angry customers.

Nobody at Canon wants angry customers. That didn't prevent Canon to refuse to address the 1DMkIII issues properly. Why? Because Canon weighted the cost of a recall and fixing all cameras vs. making its customers unhappy and decided the latter was more cost effective. I trust Nikon to act the right way. That is not to follow that example. We'll see.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow