Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS for baby/ kids/ portraits? (have 70-200 f/4 L IS, 7D)

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
filmluvr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
My experience...
In reply to rth23, Apr 28, 2012

rth23 wrote:

Is there anyone with all of the following:
(1) APS-C body,
(2) 70-200 f/4 L IS Mk II,
(3) 100mm f/2.8 L IS,
(4) preferably also 85mm f/1.8,

who could share their first-hand experience here on shooting portrairs/ people/ baby photos?

No one needs that gear to be able to give you valid advice regarding portraiture. I've been shooting nearly 20 years, and during that time I've had plenty of opportunity to experiment with various focal lengths on both FF and crop. Generally speaking, indoor portraiture needs relatively short focal lengths. By "short" I mean no longer than a FF equivalent of 100-105mm. The pretty much precludes the 100mm on a crop body, and even the 85mm. During the year or so I shot a crop body, I used a 60mm macro and 50mm f/1.8 for portraits of my wife and baby daughter. Even these lenses were sometimes too long for comfort though, and I eventually switched to full frame for better control. The situation is different outdoors, of course, but even there, you should consider that the most popular full frame focal lengths for portraiture are 100/105mm and 85mm. It's nearly impossible to achieve the razor-thin DOF on crop that photographers produce with full frame. Neverhtheless, converting 100mm and 85mm to their crop equivalents is where you should start in your search for the best compromise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow