Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 questions

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Managarm
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 questions
In reply to Michael Kaufman, Apr 28, 2012

Michael Kaufman wrote:

Wide open, am I really going to see a difference that would justify getting this over (as an example) the Oly 17.5? If I am zone focusing at F8, is there much of a difference?

In terms of depth of field the difference between the Nokton and Oly is about 3 stops. That's a whole lot and will make the difference in giving wideangle shots that special sort of depth, which will only be possible in close range with the Oly. I mean effects like here for example http://daisukiphoto.com/picture/thoughts-using-voigtlander-nokton-175mm-gh2 - the pictures have depth, make the main subject stand out but don't take away the surrounding scene and background like telephoto lenses do.

But beware, the Nokton is bigger and a lot heavier than the Oly pancake. They are not really comparable as they both serve a different purpose. You will either love or hate those ultra fast Noktons. And you won't know until you try.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow