Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
bookmatch
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: I have to agree with others - Sony's ISO performance is terrible
In reply to dannybgoode, Apr 28, 2012

dannybgoode wrote:

@sybersitizen

Brilliant - thanks for the tips. Can I just ask how I mount the lens on backwards as that sounds like the ideal solution. Do you need an adapter or does duck tape work?

Duct tape works in a pinch, but a better solution is to clamp the lens to the body in reverse position, then drill a clean 3/8" hole from the outermost element of the lens through the sensor and out the back end of the camera body (you can either keep the LCD screen in place or rotate it off the body, doesn't seem to make much difference to image quality), then run a bolt (I recommend a grade 8.8 bolt -- 12.9 is overkill unless you're using the camera in a rough environment like mounted to a car grill, and 5.5 might work but they can snap) through the hole, and attach firmly with a nut and a lock washer. Seal around the bolt with clear silicone caulk.

Now I know some here might object that the bolt head is going to obscure the image, but (a) there's a corresponding hole in the sensor, so no biggie, (b) the bolt head is so close to the lens it's going to blur out, and (c) there's got to be a photoshop plugin for this.

Maybe I'll stick with the Sony for now until I see some test shots from a new $40k Hasselblad or Leica and get all disappointed again.

Get a used Hasselblad with a broken body, toss the body, and mount the lens as per above. Best of both worlds!

bookmatch's gear list:bookmatch's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow