24mpx entry level - What does "entry level" mean any more.....??

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Escaping
Contributing MemberPosts: 595Gear list
Like?
What does "entry level" mean .. to who?
In reply to Rod McD, Apr 28, 2012

Entry level DSLR's are now almost like commodities no different than the compact cars market... so success in this segment depends a lot on pricing with enough marketing panache. Right now, the Nikon D3200 is hitting on this segment with a salvo of great features -- 24mp, 920k LCD, great video. Nikon also achieves this very aggressive price point probably because it made a great investment to re-vamp its production facilities in Thailand after last year flood disaster and it probably get a good supply of the sensor at a good cost to themselves.

Regarding the 24Mp sensor, whether it is a Sony or not, first, the majority of the buyers in this market are not like us who analyze IQ and DR down to the pixel level with tests after tests, this is like discussing whether the 180hp 4 cylinder engine in of the Toyota Corolla is better or worse then the 180hp 4 cylinder in the Honda Civic. To me, Nikon probably made the decision of sourcing this 24Mp from Sony or from someone else purely based on economics and knows there is not enough market differentiation if it is a Sony or not.

To the OP, I do see your point and agree with you about Pentax needing to have a low end budget camera (that Kr replacement) and to continue to have a flagship (in the K10 > K20 > K7 > K5 line). Just recently, Pentax was very successful with the ist-DS and K-m / K-x, so that product line is important to Pentax. Right now, I see the K01 as a variant on the low end budget but Pentax really needs to address the overall pricing if it wants to be successful. If not, Pentax will be just a niche player shortly.

Just my 2 cents here. Thoughts? Comments?

-- hide signature --

Escaping (CT, USA) http://www.pbase.com/cvanlang
D700 / D300 / D7000 / D90 / K-5 / K10D / K-m / G2 / GF1 / V1 / LX5

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow