Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billbro
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Lend a beginner a helping hand?
Apr 28, 2012

Sydney seems to finally have the NEX 5n back in stock, so I managed to grab a twin lens kit and the 50/f1.8 today!

Completely new to the world of photography and not even upgrading from a point and shoot, so it should be interesting. However, after travelling to Japan at the end of last year, I felt the compulsion to pick up a decent camera - so here I am after a couple of months of research and a bit of waiting.

Apologies in advance, as these questions are probably asked quite frequently, but I the search button didn't yield the desired results given the frequency of posts here and the store staff couldn't provide too much help:

1. Is there any particular methodology that I can follow to test out the sample variation in my lens? I'm particularly concerned about potential softness in the 16mm, but decided I wanted the pancake anyway.

I've read people say shoot a flat surface, but I presume there should be a lot of other settings I would need to configure to yield an accurate test?

2. Are there any handy sites for a beginner to read in terms of 'proper' form/technique/terminology, etc?

I spent the last few months spending a significant amount of time researching what to buy, but realistically I probably should have read about how to use a camera!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow