ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
anomalous
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
E-5 vs E-M5, first impressions
Apr 28, 2012

Hi!

I have an E5, E3, E1, 12-60, 50-200 plus sundry other things but thought I should try an E-M5 at my earliest opportunity because I'm tired of carrying heavy camera equipment everywhere. The local camera shop has just received an E-M5 and I tried it out in the poor light you always have in camera shops.

Cutting the story very short, I won't be getting one. They are just too small to hold properly. Yes, I tried it with the HLD-6 grip and that improved things, but when I picked up my E5 to take a few comparison shots it was chalk and cheese. So there goes my chance at a lighter camera package...

In more detail:

I had gone into the shop worried about the viewfinder but immediately liked the E-M5's EVF. It's just not an issue.

The M.Zuiko lenses I tested focus very fast (I tried the 14-42, 12-50 and 14-150). My existing lenses (using an MMF2 adapter) were not so good. My 12-60 focussed hesitantly and occasionally incorrectly but produced good results when it worked. My Sigma 30mm was just a basket case. Then I ran out of time.

When I got home and checked the few shots I had had time to take (due to confused timing I only had 30 minutes with the E-M5) they were clearly better (less noise) than my E5 when taken at the same ISO setting, but crucially, the E5 with 12-60 used a lower ISO setting than the E-M5 with 12-50 because of the difference in maximum apertures, so the shots didn't favour the E-M5 as strongly as you might think. In the end I preferred the overall sharpness of the 12-60 vs any of the micro four-thirds lenses so I'm sticking with my E5.

So, my summary is that if you have tiny hands and do not want to reuse your four-thirds lenses, you will thoroughly enjoy the E-M5. If you want to use your four-thirds lenses then check them individually first as some of them will focus so poorly they will effectively be manual focus lenses.

And my message to Olympus: We still need real DSLRs! What else can we put our good lenses on? Or should we chuck them in the trash?

Put the E-M5 sensor in a full sized camera and I'll buy it straight away. Make it the same shape as an E1 (so that your nose doesn't have to squish on the LCD screen) and I'll trample people to get it. A camera doesn't have to be heavy but for me to like it it has to be big enough to hold.

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+ 1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow