Usefulness of AI Lenses (1980)

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,892Gear list
Like?
Someone has made you belive in fairy tales
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 28, 2012

bravozulu wrote:

It is a an exceptionally good f2.5 105mm. Here's why. In the 60's and 70's I worked for Japan's 3rd largest publishing company. When we bought equipment, we would trundle down to a special Nikon office near the Ginza in Tokyo.

Technicians (wearing white gloves) would greet us in a reception room and after serving tea, would present items to us from our 'wish list'. Camera bodies are all alike, so there was nothing special about them. But lenses! Well, that's another matter.

I presume you know where the high cost of Leitz and Zeiss lenses arise. They keep the one best lens out of every six tested and then smash the inferior five lenses. 1 out of six. The culling can take place at the grinding stage or after building and testing of complete lenses.

Someone has made you belive in a very, very improbable fairy tale

At Nikon, the policy is to cherry pick exceptional glass. These are sold only to world-class photographers only or are loaned out through offices around the world for special purposes. The Olympics, for instance. A Space Shuttle launch. Any freelancer on assignment from National Geographic has access to these unusual products.

Yeah right

Excuse the long rant, but this is info not commonly understood outside the industry. Anyway, the pro staff of our publisher could buy these best-of-the-best lenses (amounting to about 17%). That's what my normal 50 f1.4 and the 105 are.

Four of the remaining five lenses are sold to the general public. The lesser 4 (lens elements only) are used in products such as binoculars, telescopes or rifle scopes. The worst of the entire bunch (elements only) are sold to 3rd party companies. Don't quote me on this, but two of those were identified as Tamron and Vivitar. That was Nikon practice as of about 1978. It may have changed.

As someone else wrote, I would not quote you of this, because it is utter rubbsih. Someone has had a field day feeding you some interesting stories

There are wild variations during the process of lens grinding. To support high prices and keep market share, German companies only release glass that is 'freaky good.' I fully believe Nikon is nearly as capable, but sales of the best Nikon glass are restricted. They want to see credit for a shot on the cover of Life or Nat Geo. That's their marketing strategy.

You don't seem to have a clue on
a) how lenses are made
b) what makes some lenses more expensive then others
c) how companies operate
d) marketing strategies

I'm keeping my 105mm. It's close to a 180 (in film parlance), and that has been a focal length I've loved for a long time.

That is the first thing in this entire post of your which make any sense at all. The 105/2.5 is a great little lens.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow