Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dannybgoode
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?
I have to agree with others - Sony's ISO performance is terrible
Apr 28, 2012

I don't usually get involved in mass forum debates but I have to agree with others on here about Sony's ISO performance (no names mentioned). I've just bought an A77 and I spent the first 2 days taking photos at 12800 ISO in dark rooms and then cropping the darkest corner to 100% and I'm bitterly disappointed that the images are noisy. Thinking this was a bit unfair I've spent another 2 days and done the same tests at all ISO settings from 3200 but I'm still not happy - I can't see detail I can bearly see with my naked eye.

I'm already on 1000 shutter actuations - the camera's only good for another 149k shots and I've got so many more test to do.

I started to regret my decision in buying this camera so I've beat myself up a bit more by spending hours comparing studio shots of cameras costing $3k + probably shot with lenses costing $3k + and was devastated to see that they performed somewhat better in these highly controlled environments taking photos of cotton reels (which happen to be my favourite subject - got thousands of photos of cotton reels and fluffy balls).

To add salt in the wounds, Nikon then had the cheek to release manufacturer's sample images of a camera that cost less yet seemed to perform better!! I mean, I absolutely trust that Nikon hasn't released the absolute very best shots it could possible produce at iso 3200 and that they absolutely didn't undertake any PP at all to make them look that little bit better. I appreciate the rest of the specifications may not be as good as my A77 but this really hurts

OK I was coming from a Canon 50D which performed nowhere near as well as the A77 and I hardly ever shoot above ISO 200 (and don't think I've ever shot above 400) but none the less its outrageous that the Sony doesn't perform in this oh so crucial area.

Its really took the joy out of my new purchase and as a consequence of having done this extensive and useful research I haven't had time to get out and take any real photos yet. None the less the Sony is going back and I'm going to wait for the Nikon 3200 and be equally unhappy with that.

Just my tuppence worth

Cheers

Danny B
--
Shoot lots...

http://www.dannybowerphotography.co.uk

dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow