Going to purchase an A57 need advice on lenses

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
EvilHomerClone
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Re: Going to purchase an A57 need advice on lenses
In reply to Maynerd, Apr 28, 2012

Well, i too am very new to DSLR's and i decided to go with the a77 with its kit lens (SAL1650).

If you have very little experience like i did (yeah sure, i've been using point n shoots all my life so i'm not a complete tard for photography), this lens makes it VERY easy for you to pull off shots indoors with the little one. If your really looking to get a good documentary of your kids growth, in the beginning you won't be taking him outside a ton, so having a fast indoor lens is important.

Also this lens has the SSM system and it makes for 1 MAJOR benefit when recording video. Its still kinda of a new thing for DSLR's to take video and most of the lenses were not designed for it. Meaning that while taking a photo, the camera auto focuses but in these lenses the autofocus system is very loud and can overtake you while recording the video.

Yes Sony branded lens with SSM are expensive, but there truly is a quality difference. Today i got the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD. Got it for $449 and it has a $100 mail in rebate. The cool thing (besides the price and warranty) is this model offers their UltraSilent Focus motor.

Now i can tell you, yes it is very quiet but NOT silent. Its a tad bit nosier than the SSM system. In a completely silent room, you can hear the Tamron BUT you can also hear the Sony. Now with moderate noise, you can slightly hear the Tamron and the Sony is very hard to zone in on (i noticed that while in Movie mode, the Sony SSM really slows down its spin to keep it quiet)

In the beginning i really think that this Sony SSM 16-50mm will be your 2nd child. Learn to yield the new camera style and this powerful lens. I've only expedited my lens line as I am heading to Europe in less than 2 months and i really really wanted a longer zoom but couldn't fit the $1000 bill for the Sony SSM 70-300. (also i do not like how its not weather sealed at that price, i heard sony is working on next gen models of there G lenses, and if that goes Weather Sealed, i'm buying it.

A flash is very handy (specially when that kid starts moving and it can help freeze the frame to grab the shot), i'm really liking some of the results i've been able to pull off with the Sony Wireless Flash & Difuser setup. I replaced the Sony neck strap with a Neoprene strap, makes for a lot better carrying around the neck.

hope this helps

EvilHomerClone's gear list:EvilHomerClone's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow