Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steven_k
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
SD1M showed up art my door today :-)
Apr 28, 2012

Well to my surprise, my SD1M and 4 lenses showed up today all purchased from Sigma USA. 50,70,150 macro and the 12-24mm

I am not going to post my first few shoots just yet.
Though of course I have some "newbie" questions.

Subject matter all landscape, so proper shooting technique used always, big tripod, MLU with 2 second delay, I always shoot in manual mode, raw only.

So my questions are quite basic.

Just to confirm from what I have been reading on this forum, ISO 200 use for bright sunny day, and ISO 100 when shooting lower contrast scenes, i.e. shade, or over cast day.

All the setting on the SD1M body, i.e., contrast, saturation, sharpening, etc only effect the jpeg engine and what I see on the LCD. Is this a true statement, I am mostly concerned about sharpening, I know everyone recommends in SPP to turn down sharpness all the way -2 = no sharpening, and sharpen in PS.

So I just want to make sure about the sharpness setting on the camera because it only goes to -1 not like it does in SPP -2

Since shooting raw only should I set my contrast to -1 on the camera to get a more accurate histogram and HL clipping waring on the LCD?

I did a few quick shots today when the sun was out. I used my 50mm, ISO 200 F8, 1/800 sec. exposure. Basic daylight.

I live in the mountains where there is still snow on the tops and in SPP they snow was blown out 255,255,255 I had to do a exposure adjustment about -.6 EV in SPP do bring back the snow which it did, yet I wonder what the real ISO is. Meaning if I shoot at ISO 200 it seems likes it more like ISO 250.
I realize to get the most out of the SD1M exposure is critical...

Steven

ps.. I really want this system to work out, but will not hesitate to send it back to Sigma USA for a full refund if not happy with it's performance ..

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow