IS f/3.5-5.6 vs... non-IS f/2.8?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
Re: IS f/3.5-5.6 vs... non-IS f/2.8?
In reply to DoctorPDA, Apr 27, 2012

There are generally two ways to go with flash, flashes that are compatible with your camera's metering system (I believe they use pre-flashes to determine the exposure and flash intensity) and fully manual flashes. The advantage of the first group is ease of use, both on and off camera. The advantage of the second is price (one can get used flashes from prior eras or cheap Chinese made manual only flashes for around $50 with similar power levels). The cost is usually chimping a few shots to get the exposure just right, and learning more about flash lighting.

Unfortunately, the two don't mix very well so it's best to choose one or the other systems or both (but using one at a time).

I chose the manual flashes, and yes it does take a little more work, but having 3 cheapy flashes and triggers means I can do quite a bit more than one metered flash (also my choice in flashes didn't prevent me from changing systems once I realized my love was older manual focus lenses).

If you'd rather shop on a budget, I believe that Yongnuo makes a speedlight that's compatible with Canon's wireless system, (at a minimum the YN-565) and I know Sigma and Nissan do as well, all are less costly than the Canon flashes, though might not have perfect compatibility or the same build quality.

http://speedlights.net/in-depth-speedlight-reviews/

This is one of the better review sites for speedlights if you want to find out the gotchas of the budget options (or possibly the Canon branded ones as well).

I've got a trio of YN-460 (they're very cheap, but built decently enough and have enough power for my needs). I use NiZn batteries so can't give you much of an indication on cycle times with more popular batteries (they recharged even my old SB-25s in about 1-2 seconds).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow