D200 shutter died - buy used D200 cheap or D7000?

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KasperE
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
D200 shutter died - buy used D200 cheap or D7000?
Apr 27, 2012

Hi,

My D200 just died - the shutter doesn't work properly anymore (see attached photo), as one curtain seems to be lagging behind. At 73,000 actuations it's perhaps to be expected. I got a repair quote of $500 for replacing the shutter.

Now, I'm looking for a replacement. I could get a used 13,000-clicks D200 for around $420, or I could spend the full $1400 (DK prices...) for a new D7000. But...: is the latest generation enough of an upgrade sensor and speed wise to justify a threefold higher price?

I basically photograph my family (kids are 4 and 2 yrs). I need accurate and fast AF for that. The high-ISO capabilities of D200 always seemed a bit limiting to me as I shoot a lot indoors, but perhaps better flash technique (currently own the SB-400 only) could help more than a new sensor? Lenses are the 1.8-bunch: 35, 50D, 85D + the 18-70.

I held and shot a bit with a D7000 today and I did not find anything objectionable in the build. And it's a lot more quiet and very fast.

Best,
Kasper

Canon EOS 50D Nikon D200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow