Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sudhirraom
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Nikon D7000 overexposure is very real.
Apr 27, 2012

9 months back I bought my first DSLR NikonD7000. I was a new bee to Photography and had no idea what shutter speed and aperture was. In last 9 months I learned a lot about photography(thanks to Internet )and today I am matured enough to shoot in A, P, S and M modes and understand histograms, change exposure compensation etc etc. Now lets come to the point. In last 9 months I shot around 6500 photos and for some reason we were not very happy the quality of the photos. They looked soft and colors looked dull and overall photos did not look correctly exposed. My friends, Family branded it as a user error and even I was also convinced that it is me and not the problem with the camera. However all these bashing on me(user) stopped last week when one of my friend showed us the pictures his wife shot with Nikon D5100. Quality of the photos were stunning. Even the photos shot in auto mode was sharp , colorful, correctly exposed. They are also as new bee as me. After seeing the photos I and every one in my home started to realized that there is something really wrong with our Nikon d7000 and it is not the user error. I decided to compare photos from both the cameras. I went and bought D5100 from COSTCO (it has 90days return period :)). Shot few photos with both the cameras (same subject, same mode, same lens, Matrix metering). Guess what All the photos from NikonD7000 overexposed and D5100 photos were exposed perfectly. Here are the images to compare. The first one from D7000 and second from D5100. Both shot in Aperture Priority mode, f8, ISO 100, Matrix metering, 18-105mm lens. Only difference is the shutter speed which i had no control. D7000 used 1/4000 where as D5100 settled with 1/800. D7000 going back to Nikon for Repair. Not sure if they can fix this. My advice to anyone who is looking to buy new DSLR then please STAY WAY from D7000. If you already bought it and still under return period then just RETURN it right away and get D5100.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow