Old bottle for play

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andre W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
Royal51 -
In reply to Royal51, Apr 27, 2012

Hi - I'm a 3rd grader too, so, if I can do it, you can too.
Actually very easy and the pp work actually very minimal.

The book effect (which for me, should be very difficult in photoshop) is actually done with seperate software called Box Shot 3D - just google it - easy to find.

Box Shot 3D is great and one can do a LOT with it - just check it out and use the tutorial first time around. I think this program is also used to render images commercially - it really is great. The only frustration for me is (not having an "up-to-date" PC as far as speed is concerned) the time Box Shot 3D takes to "render" the final image - this one took about 55 minutes - I usally start the rendering and then keep busy with something else, otherwise it will drive me crazy.

Before I used the image in the Box Shot 3D program though, I have PP'd it a bit in Photoshop first - I wanted an "aged photo" feel to the image and done the following - all on different layers:
Opened the image in PS
Converted it into a sepia image.
Lowered the sepia layer's opacity to still have muted colours.

Imported an image of "old paper" (yellowish in colour) on top of the sepia layer and changed the layer mode to soft light.

Imported another image on top of the old paper one in multiply mode - the image being that of old cracked paint.

Also imported/copied an image of an old/rusted corrigated iron garage door - in soft light mode - that gave the faded vertical lines in the image.

One can adjust the opacities/modes of the different layers to get the mood/colour you like.
Then merged the layers - shortcut: ctrl/shift/alt E - to give the "final" image.

Then played with seperate curves and selective colour adjustment layers to get the the
colour and luminosity I fancied.
I then saved it as PSD and JPEG files.

You will gather (from the Box Shot 3D tutorial) the image is not quite suitable for use yet - open a "new" PS file (CTRL N) and choose the right dimensions as suggested in the tut.
The book titel and Tom's name, I've done on seperate layers via the Type Tool.
Save this new image as a seperate jpeg file - it is now ready for use.
After this, it was time for Box Shot 3D.
As said - if you wish to get the software - go through the tutorial.

Once you're ready to do your own "book cover" or whatever you choose, you use the image as "prepared" in PS (the second one obviously) - just watch the sizes - as given in the tutorial.

Once you're happy with the cover's look, lighting, background etc (all in Box Shot 3D), just save as a jpeg to the folder of your choice.

After it took forever to render and the saving step, I opened this "new" book cover image in PS and adjusted the brightness, contrast to give my final image as presented here.

That's about it - I'm not the best tutor around and hope the above will put you on the right track.
If I can help with anything more, I'd gladly do so (if I can) - just shout.
Regards
Andrè

Andre W's gear list:Andre W's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX270 HS Canon EOS 60D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
Prstl2 MOD
PaulNew
GaryNew
MikeNew
LyleNew
TonyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow