which model should I choose for shooting a doc?

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fozzer
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
which model should I choose for shooting a doc?
Apr 27, 2012

I'm going to be shooting a documentary about an artist (mostly interviews and him working in the studio) starting mid-May and need to invest in equipment. My budget for a camera is about $4500 tops including all-purpose lens. I already own several Nikon manual focus lenses from my FM2 days (24mm, 35mm, 50mm) and would like to be able to use them, but it's not crucial. Since I have a background in photography, it seems a no-brainer that a DSLR that does excellent video is the way to go.

I narrowed down the playing field to the Nikon D800 and the Canon 5D Mark III, and then have just found to my dismay that both are on backorder and won't be available for months. Since I can't wait that long, I need to rethink what to buy. I don't want to buy the Mark II because I don't like the idea of investing in outdated equipment. Is there anything else up-to-date I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow