Help with using Garmin handheld GPS

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brian
Forum ProPosts: 10,189
Like?
Re: Help with using Garmin handheld GPS
In reply to davidevans1, Apr 27, 2012

davidevans1 wrote:

I'm pretty stuck on the basics and cant find a forum anywhere dedicted to this subject. There is a Garmin forum but it doesn't seem to have a section for handheld GPS.
So the questions:

1. When using BaseCamp on the PC I've zoomed in on a map - how do I zoom out? I've tried pressing the zoom and a -, shift, Ctrl, right clicking the mouse etc. and looked in the index also. Also Googed it. So basic I'm really shocked I haven't been able to work this out!

Does your mouse have a scroll wheel on it? most do. try that.

2. I bought a map on a mini SD card, and that works on the eTrex ... and I can see it in BaseCamp. Is there a way of transferring this to the hard drive of the eTrex please?

there should be a micro sd slot on your unit to put it in.

3. I tried putting some waypoints on a route yesterday, and I think (hope) I just press the toggle button as I go along to do this. I wanted to see if this had worked and was hoping to see the markers in BaseCamp, but can't (so either I don't know how to, or I haven't marked the waypoints correctly). Can anyone help please?

can't help with this. haven't used it in forever.

4.Is there a 'good way' of making a track? I did a test on MemoryMap and downloaded to the eTrex ok, but following it was all but impossible because I must have put too many (close) waypoints (which obliterated the route). I ended up going back to my Iphone map to see where I was going! Is there a 'best practice' on this?

Thanks for any advice on this, and if anyone has any further tips to help my learning curve I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.
--
David

-- hide signature --

Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow