Dynamic range is over rated

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,817Gear list
Like?
Re: For Rick - had to snip some stuff in order to post it
In reply to Rick Knepper, Apr 27, 2012

Rick Knepper wrote:

I do not have time to read, absorb and respond to the rest of your post until this evening or this weekend but I just want to mention quickly that the spec I mention above is for the Look Up Table and I am unsure whether this is the same spec you are referring to as 10 bit. I did a quick Google seach and couldn't come up with anything concrete although it is interesting that I found a reference to 24-bit color in one retailer's description of my monitor which has to be BS.

No worries about responding! Look up tables are a theoretical measure at best! But the 24 bit is probably right that'a about 16.7 million colours - but is 8 bits per channel, the same as jpeg. Windows has always described colours that way (combined bits)

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
How?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow