Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,057
Like?
E-420 vs. E-520 vs. E-510 ....
Apr 27, 2012

As some of you know, I'm slowly migrating from Canon to Olympus ... truly at a snail's pace, but I'm getting there. I'm sure that my pro kit will be based around the E-5, not the E-3.

The first kit I've put together is the one to carry in my car at all times, consisting of the E-420, the 14-42, 25mm pancake, and the 40-150. The E-420 is turning out to be one of the more impressive cameras I've owned, regardless of size, sensor design or price. Truly excellent performance up to ISO 800.

I thought it would be best to have a second body to mate with the 40-150, an image stabilized body for that long lens. So I opted for the E-520 and was sorely disappointed. It had none of the sharpness of the E-420 and, in fact, it was hard to get the images to look tack sharp even with a good dose of USM; artifacts started showing up pretty quickly. I returned the camera to the retailer two days after purchasing it. They think it's just fine. I think it was maybe a bad copy; don't really know for sure. Could be that's just the way the E-520 is.

So I'm considering its predecessor, the E-510. Can anyone tell me how that camera compares to my lovely E-420? My first venture into 4:3 was the E-620. I didn't like it at all. Images were way too soft. I don't want the size and weight of the E-30. My kit is so very small and light right now ... amazingly so considering what it can do. The bulk of the E-30 would be too much.

Your ideas and thoughts are welcomed.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
http://www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow