Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peweuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 537Gear list
Like?
Remote Viewfinder - FZ150
Apr 27, 2012

The other day it was pointed out to me that there is a 'hidden' feature of the FZ150 - viewing on a remote viewfinder using a MiniUSB/AV cable.

I did not get such a cable with my FZ150, so I bought one off ebay for about $6 (£4 over here in the UK) which arrived this morning. I have just tried it and it works.

If the cable is inserted into the USB connection on the camera, and the AV end is plugged in to a seperate monitor (eg a TV), then the 'Dustbin/Qmenu' button is pressed and held for a few seconds, the TV bursts into life showing the content of the LCD viewfinder (the LCD does not blank either, so the image is seen on both).

When the shot is taken the picture blanks on the remote viewer the same as it does on the LCD - and the shot is previewed.

I have seen on Amazon that there are 7" LCD monitors on sale in the US for as little as $50,

http://www.amazon.com/PLHR76-7-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-Headrest/dp/B000BT5HFS/ref=pd_ybh_1

and battery powered for upwards of $70

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMN7SU-Battery-Powered-Monitor/dp/B0071I0P9U/ref=pd_ybh_2

so for very little money a nice remote viewfinder solution for those who could benefit from one when used in conjunction with a remote control.

Unfortunately the solution here in the UK is quite a bit more expensive as the battery operated LCD monitors are no where near as cheap as in the US.

A battery powered DVD player with AV input is another solution, but just as expensive here, and obvioulsy heavier.

The unfortunate point about remote output is that it does not work with video.

The minute the record button is pressed in Video mode, or the 'quick record' is used in picture mode, the screen blanks until recording is stopped. It would be nice if Panasonic altered this in a firmware update, but I doubt they ever will, and its also unlikely a camera firmware hack is imminent any time soon - or ever.

But at least all the Birders who spend a fair amount of time in hides waiting for the ideal photographic pose have a solution to make their accompanying camera viewing more comfortable.

peweuk's gear list:peweuk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow