Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
Help with using Garmin handheld GPS
Apr 27, 2012

I'm hoping someone here uses a handheld Garmin GPS and can help me out here. I take landscapes and bought an eTrex 30 to be ble to tag where ive taken shots, and lso for planning future shots.

I'm pretty stuck on the basics and cant find a forum anywhere dedicted to this subject. There is a Garmin forum but it doesn't seem to have a section for handheld GPS.
So the questions:

1. When using BaseCamp on the PC I've zoomed in on a map - how do I zoom out? I've tried pressing the zoom and a -, shift, Ctrl, right clicking the mouse etc. and looked in the index also. Also Googed it. So basic I'm really shocked I haven't been able to work this out!

2. I bought a map on a mini SD card, and that works on the eTrex ... and I can see it in BaseCamp. Is there a way of transferring this to the hard drive of the eTrex please?

3. I tried putting some waypoints on a route yesterday, and I think (hope) I just press the toggle button as I go along to do this. I wanted to see if this had worked and was hoping to see the markers in BaseCamp, but can't (so either I don't know how to, or I haven't marked the waypoints correctly). Can anyone help please?

4.Is there a 'good way' of making a track? I did a test on MemoryMap and downloaded to the eTrex ok, but following it was all but impossible because I must have put too many (close) waypoints (which obliterated the route). I ended up going back to my Iphone map to see where I was going! Is there a 'best practice' on this?

Thanks for any advice on this, and if anyone has any further tips to help my learning curve I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.
--
David

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow