Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scampi1965
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Basketball Lens issues
Apr 27, 2012

Posted this in the wrong forum so posting it here... my apologies for the doubling up!

OK odd question (or maybe not!).

I am buying a 5dmkiii. The plan was to buy the 70-200L ii IS USM and this would cover my indoor basketball, football (yes SOCCER!) and sailing photography needs. But I have just picked up the lens and wow... bugger me, the idea of shooting basketball with that will kill me!

So perhaps I am back to the drawing board because I would prefer greater telephoto capability than 200mm but the quality of the 70-200 enticed me (of course). I am wondering if the 100mm L macro that i am buying will get me out of goal for indoor basketball? Or am I better off buying a dedicated fast lens for the indoor sport (in which case which one outside the 85mm L f1.2 which I just cannot afford) ? Which telephoto lens would then be the "choice"? I am thinking 70-300??? Lenses must be "L". I am prepared to carry the heftier lenses for outdoor shooting but no so keen for indoors.

or at the end of the day am I going to end up with the original choice as it is just THAT good?

So many questions!
Thanks
--
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters be kind to you.

Scampi1965's gear list:Scampi1965's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow