Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
Not super impressed with my new D700 tonight
Apr 27, 2012

I haven't had a chance to use it much before now but tonight was the dress rehersal for two of my daughters so I took a bunch of pictures of them and their friends. Some of the shots were great. Few weird things though. Setup is the D700 with the new Sigma 70-200.

1) in the low light sometimes the camera really struggled to find focus, especially when I got further from the stage. Lens just kept vibrating back and forth as it tried. I honestly don't think my old Sony A700 would have had that much trouble though it might have incorrectly locked somewhere. I was shooting AF-C and tried using both 9 and 21 AF points as well as releasing on shutter and shutter + focus. Didn't seem to matter

2) I had one point where the camera semi-locked up with an Err message. It was weird because it didn't seem to stop the camera from functioning

3) several times the metering guessed extremely poorly. Was shooting A priority at 3.2 or 2.8 with auto iso, min shutter speed of 320 and max iso of 6400. Not sure if the exif comes across but this shot (ignore that exposure is the least of the problems) selected only iso 2500. There is nothing remotely bright that it could have picked up.

Another shot the camera appears to have completely ignored every setting. Choose iso 200 and a shutter speed of 8000

When it did work there were some nice shots -- definately better noise than my old sony and maybe even more importantly the files can be worked much more signficantly, even the jpegs. I have no idea what was happening though. Could be user error since I'm not familiar with the camera yet. Any ideas if there was something I might have been pressing, etc.? Sound like a camera, lens or user error?

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow