XZ-1 Lock-and-Recompose shooting

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,058Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1 Lock-and-Recompose shooting
In reply to Jonathan Ragle, Apr 27, 2012

Jonathan Ragle wrote:

After months of struggling with the camera's inability to lock exposure and recompose, I want to post my newly discovered solution: simultaneous AE-Lock/AF-Lock can be achieved by half-pressing the shutter button while in spot-metering mode.

While it would be ideal to control auto-exposure and auto-focus independently, I reserve such stringent requirements for DSLRs, 645s, and my Fuji X100.

The important point here is that it is in fact possible to use a 'lock and recompose' method with the XZ-1. To do so, I combine spot-metering and the TR (Focus Tracking).

This great little camera is now vastly more compatible with my old shooting habits.

I don't have an XZ-1, but since I got m E-3, I stopped doing lock focus and recompose, and instead go into single focus point mode, and select the focus point that would allow me to compose the picture that I want. I see the XZ-1 has the same feature (page 37). I tend to feel it gives me more control. I can shoot faster at the decisive moment, and it is especially helpful when the camera is on a tripod, where you might not want to change where the camera is pointing.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow