ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neonlike
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Lumix DMC-GH2
Apr 27, 2012

Hi,

Apologies in advance - this post is going to reek of 'complete beginner' but I'm genuinely trying to learn as much as I can before dropping $1000+ on something I don't know much about.... yet. In short, what does a first time buyer need to know when purchasing a camera - specifically the Lumix DMC-GH2?

I've studied film and video for the past three years but have mainly written, directed and edited so to my detriment have taken a more passive approach to camera equipment. I'm ready to explore shooting and have read excellent reviews about the Lumix DMC-GH2 but need to know what else I need to take into account.

I live in Tokyo for the time being and thought I could just pick up a camera down the road but then I read that Panasonic cameras sold in Japan only have Japanese language functions. At first I thought this wasn't so bad but I think an English menu would be better for me, so I've been looking online. I found this deal on amazon and I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing?

http://www.amazon.com/...lectronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335448329&sr=1-2

There's the $1,198 option with both body and 14-140mm HD Hybrid Lens. Or there's the $849 option with both body and 14-42mm HD Hybrid Lens. Which would be better for HD video? Or which would be more useful? I do intend on using this camera A LOT.

Also this deal just sells the body and lens. Is it also worth purchasing the recommended memory card and battery? Or do I just pick them up at the store? In terms of connecting it to my mac (OS X Lion) what cable can I use? Is it going to be difficult to convert the AVCHD footage? I intend on editing with FCP.

Have I missed anything? Body, lens, memory card, battery, cable... bag. Is there anything that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for reading!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow