Will IS and f/3.5-5.6 give better photos than no IS and f/2.8??

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DoctorPDA
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Will IS and f/3.5-5.6 give better photos than no IS and f/2.8??
Apr 26, 2012

I'm a beginner, looking at Canon 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 ($100-175) "kit lens" vs. Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 ($500).

I understand from the official reviews (ex. SLRgear.com, Photozone.de, TheDigitalPicture, etc....), that the Tamron is better lens in terms of sharpness. However, the Canon kit lens actually gets very good official reviews as well.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling I could get much better photos (ex. less noise, sharper photos) from the Canon with IS with it's 3-4 stops of improvement....... For example, if I was shooting a stationary object indoors during the daytime, I could should at ISO 200 at 3.5 with the Canon, while the Tamron shoots at 2.8 at ISO 800 to 1600. Wouldn't the lower ISO Canon shot look a lot better with less noise??? Plus, the Tamron at 2.8 is not as good as when stopped down anyway ("sweet spot" ~ 4 to 5.6).

Even further, I could chance it, and lower the shutter speed even more with the Canon IS (knowing that some shots would be blurry), and get lower ISO, and get better looking shots.

Is this an accurate assessement???

Thanks so much,
Gus

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow