Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan Wagner
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?
Nikon D4 at the Circus -- fun!
Apr 26, 2012

I know many people have an issue or two about the D4 or D800 or whatever. However, on my first outing with the D4 (moved up from D3), I was absolutely delighted with the results. In the past, when I bought a new DSLR I would test it shooting shots of nothing special. However, with the D4 I wanted to try it under low light conditions, and it had to be something special and fun. After all, for 6K I wasn't going to shoot my pet. Fortunately when I heard that the Universoul Circus was coming to town, I knew it would be the perfect choice. I put the photos up on one of my sites. http://danwagnerphotography.tumblr.com/

I shot everything with my 24-70 2.8 Nikon lens. It proved to be a good choice, and allowed me to follow the action. The great high ISO performance -- I shot mostly between 3200 and 6400 allowed me to capture the ambiance without overpowering it with a flash. In fact, what weirded me out the most was not having a flash. There I was sitting at a pretty dark event, and all I had to depend on was available light.

My percentage of in-focus shots was very high. And this was while shooting horses running around a ring while a rider performed acrobatics from only 10 feet away. The white balance too was very impressive. I shot in RAW and during processing I usually stuck with the as shot white balance setting.

Only thing that was a bit of a headache was having to upgrade Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom.
--

Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Nikon Lenses 10.5, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 VRII, 60 2.8 AF-S Micro, 85 1.4, Zeiss 50 1.4, Two SB910's, Canon G-9 & Underwater housing, Two Quantum 5d-r's, & More.

Dan Wagner's gear list:Dan Wagner's gear list
Nikon D4 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow