ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TomJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
My X10 a few months on...
Apr 26, 2012

Hi all,

I bought my X10 back in December 2011 partly in anticipation of becoming a grandparent quite soon. Thought I would add an update on my use of it since then, and thoughts about the camera in general. Feel free to ask questions if you'd like.

Initially, I thought this would be a great little camera for taking snapshots and carrying around most everywhere. I already had (and have) a Canon G11 for personal use as well as multiple Canon DSLRs and lenses for my work as a freelance commercial photographer so the X10 was a bit of a luxury purchase, but one I definitely do not regret making. For me, it has been money well spent and enjoyed.

In the months I have had it, I have taken several thousand shots and posted a few of them here. Mainly some of my night-time train images. I've been a guest at two weddings where I brought my X10 along and it captured both events splendidly. In each case, I converted the images to B&W as I feel like it really has a very wonderful ability to make exceptional B&W images.

I am still loving the great look and feel of this camera as well as it's relative speediness for a compact. Focus is fast and generally quite accurate, shot to shot times are quite good, and it just feels right in the hands. I have the Fuji leather case around mine (just the bottom half) and it fits my hands well. High ISOs continue to impress me from this relatively tiny sensor. The interface is a little quirky, but I have gotten used to it.

I do not use the EXR mode, I shoot RAW exclusively, and process in Lightroom 4, just as I do all my commercial work. I'm still not convinced that ARC handles the Fuji .RAF files 100% correctly, but I am able to make RAW conversions that are pleasing to my eye and that is what matters the most to me.

No mention of orbs would be remiss, but they have been only a slight problem for me personally. Affecting only a handful of the several thousand images I have shot with the X10 including numerous night shots involving streetlights and other often problematic subjects. I most likely will not get my sensor changed out.

My grand daughter is now nearly three months old and I have documented her growth from the night she was born with my X10. In closing, a recent photo made at ISO 800 with available light...one of several hundred images that are hard to put a price tag on. Could other cameras have captured them as well? Probably, but for me, the X10 has been a fine camera that I still enjoy shooting with every time I pick it up.

Hope a few might find this information useful!

Regards,

TomJ

TomJ's gear list:TomJ's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +24 more
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow