JPG + good glass or RAW + good glass?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
MonkRX
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: JPG + good glass or RAW + good glass?
In reply to Jim Beverlin, Apr 26, 2012

I own the K-x. One of the awesome things about the K-x, K-5, and K-r is its HUGE dynamic range (as mentioned before). These have so much reach in the shadow range that you can shoot under exposed, and correct later.

Why is that a good thing? Well. I shoot RAW. Often with older manual lenses. Between manual focusing, composing, and setting exposure, its often one too many things to fiddle with. If I need to capture something immediately, I know I can fire off a shot without caring for exposure. Focus, Compose, Shoot. Expose later. JPEG is significantly less forgiving with exposure changing. RAW is extremely forgiving (so long as you don't overexpose).

The JPEG engine on the K-x and newer are great. Depending on your use, it should be good enough. Personally, I don't think its noise reduction is very good starting at 2000 and up (On the K-x*.. For the K-5, add a stop). Lightroom's noise reduction is better. I'd say its at least half a stop better. So if you need another half stop of performance, or more effective resolution at higher ISOs (because of better NR), you need to shoot RAW.

MonkRX's gear list:MonkRX's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow