Best cap for Sigma 17-50 2.8 lens? (also, filter and hood)

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Best cap for Sigma 17-50 2.8 lens? (also, filter and hood)
In reply to dimsumfan, Apr 26, 2012

you'll never be able to compare it to a prime 50, ain't gonna happen. No zoom is going to be able to outperform even the most humble of primes.

When using the cap, just make sure that you've pinched it as much as possible. I have problems with all of my lens caps - so this sounds normal to me. I like the center pinch caps more than the Canon stone-age edge pinch only ones. Do you have a filter? That could make matters worse.

Take a look at the pics I just posted on another thread for the lens, you should be getting something like this at 2.8 and 50mm. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=41329709

If you're sure you're not front or back focusing, and you're just not impressed with the lens characteristics - send it back! Of course for your T1i the only other 2 good choices for sharpness would be the non VC tamron 17-50, or the EF-S 17-55. Of course it's debatable if these are any sharper, but at the edges wide open the Canon may have an advantage.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow