white iMac Lion blues

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
f8BeThereToo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,240
Like?
Re: white iMac Lion blues
In reply to d80russ, Apr 26, 2012

I think that 3GB RAM is simply too little to run Lion and RAM-hungry apps such as Photoshop and Aperture. The fact that the iMac crashes when running those apps and that it ran fine before upgrading to Lion seems to confirm it.

I don't see a problem downgrading to Snow Leopard; just reinstall it.

I understand your affection for the 24" matte display but unfortunately the Core2Duo CPU, weak GPU (it wasn't all that great in 2006...) and limited RAM are limiting factors moving forward. If you want to continue to upgrade the OS and software you are going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade your hardware.

Rumor has it that the new iMacs will have a replacement display that isn't as glassy as the current models, so there is hope... Another option is a matte external display, which is the way that I am going.

I paired a 24" NEC 2490 WUXi2 monitor with a 2.3GHz 13" MBP. The display is superior to the iMac (both the 2006 matte and current displays), it is matte and to top it off it has full ergonomic adjustments. The MBP runs great with 8GB RAM and it can take as much as 16GB. I added a $35 Power Support anti-glare film to the MBP and it rivals my old 15" MBP display.

And since I purchased the MBP for $900 and the NEC for $550 I spent a reasonable amount of money for the system. (My early 2008 15" MBP sale covered the cost of the 13" MBP.) I like being able to use the MBP outside my office too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow