Lightroom workflow/storage etc

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
7enderbender
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
Re: Lightroom workflow/storage etc
In reply to 7enderbender, Apr 26, 2012

I think I need to rephrase my questions. This was not so much a laptop vs desktop question. I rather used my preferred computer (my thinkpad) as an example and hwo it becomes an issue with the database approach of Lightroom.

I don't want to delete pictures unless I absolutely have to. I shoot raw+jpg. Again, this is just what it is and what works for me. The problem with using a laptop is that I have to rely on external drives to have everything with me and/or in one place. Kind of defies the purpose when using the laptop on the road.

If I unplug the external drive (let's assume that's the main location for photos, especially for a laptop with SSD..) LR3 won't find them and the database gets messy and shows all sorts of errors.

Sure, I could avoid all this by moving to a new desktop first instead of updating the laptop solution. But I'm actually quite happy with my current approach of using the Thinkpad as the main machine. Mostly because it is just the better computer and better screen, but I'm also more comfortable, which is important when spending several hours on editing and/or writing.

Again, the main question is what to do with Lightroom when files/drives are sometimes present and sometimes not. I wish there was a way to set up LR as only the quick edit tool I'm using it for and skip the entire database/file management approach. Of course my CS5 plus Bridge does exactly that but there are certain aspects of LR that I actually like better in the Develop tool. Along those line: the folks who delete batches of clients pictures what is your approach there? Do you create new databases all the time or do you just kick the old files out?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow