Remote flash for night landscape (Nikon D700)

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photofox
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Remote flash for night landscape (Nikon D700)
Apr 26, 2012

I asked this same question in the Beginners forum, but thought it might be good to try here as well. Thanks in advance for any help here.

I take landscape night photos that I use as the basis for highly detailed oil paintings (examples, go to stephenfoxart.com ). I would like to be able to light up some foreground or middle-ground areas with a speedlight, placed on a tripod a distance away and to the side. I have a Nikon D700, works great with all sorts of low-light situations, but I have almost zero experience with flash photography. I'm wondering if I need to get an SU-800 attachment to turn an external flash into a slaveā€”if that's the way to go, does the flash model matter and how far away can it be placed and still respond to the infrared signal?

Or, if somebody knows of an actual battery-powered or rechargeable light that I could set up, that is really bright and doesn't weigh a ton, that would be cool, too.

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow