OM-D, fantastic features, horrible handling ??

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mal_In_Oz
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Tried the EM5 in Melbourne today
In reply to millsart, Apr 26, 2012

Michael's in the city had a demonstration of the EM5 today so i took a long lunch to go and check it out.

First impressions are the same as what everyone else has been saying on this forum. It is surprisingly small. Interestingly, it is also still very small with the accessory grip attached. It would easily fit into my jacket pocket with the hand grip, and even with the battery-vertical grip it would still get into a regular jacket pocket I reckon (I didn't test it in case they thought I was going to walk out with it).

The feel of the camera without the grips is still very secure. It does not feel like it will slide out of your hand, and although I didn't test it, the texture of the camera with the rear rubberised thumb grip and the body texture suggests it would not be hard to hold even if it were wet. It definitely is easier to hold securely than the EP3 with the standard grip. The EM5 with the grip attached feel very secure and worth the money for those days when you are going to hold the camera for a long time or need the longer battery life.

Note that they had the cameras available to try out without any straps or little metal triangles. It felt perfectly Ok and I never noticed the strap lug getting in the way. I have recently setup a lug in the tripod mount of my EP3 which removes the strap from the shutter side of the camera. This seems to work well for the EP3 (it hang by my side better too), so I think I will do this for the EM5 as well.

While I was there I inquired about the IS in video using legacy glass. I was told the new 5 axis IS should work when using non-native lenses so I will have to go and check the other threads to see if this has been confirmed (or denied). On the subject of IS, the Olympus instructor showed a video comparing the rolling shutter of the EP3 to the EM5 and there was a very big difference between the two. Which is a good thing because the EP3 video is poor in this regard.

I wear glasses and liked the view finder just the same as the VF-2 I use with the EP3. It is possibly better but I didn't notice. I also didn't notice any humming sound from the camera at all, but it was a busy shop in the city, so not a very good test.

The shutter is very quiet, sounding like a muffled sewing machine when running at 9 frames per second. In the shop I actually had a little trouble hearing how many shots were fired. I tried to fire off just one shot at a time but it was too fast on that rapid setting and from what I could tell, the shortest sequence I could get was three frames in a burst even with a quick stab of the shutter button. If there is no feature to set the number of shots fired at a time, I think I will be using the bracketing feature in order to consistently shoot 2 or 3 shots, even if i am not actually bracketing settings between shots.

Supply of the EM5 is very tight in Australia for silver models. It was suggested that the demand for the silver was unexpected so more blacks are available. The number of silver cameras in the country at the moment would be less than the number of adults at a family reunion. The reason put to me (I don't know if this is official from Olympus) is that the silver has been more popular with enthusiasts, and they make up a larger proportion of buyers at the moment. Once the initial rush is over, it is expected that the black version will be more popular and the supply will better match the demand. I was also told that more shipments of the EM5 will be coming in (to Australia) each week.

Having looked at both the black and silver side-by-side, I would say the black looks a tiny bit sexier, but I am staying with the silver because I want my camera to look more retro, and the black shows hand-prints a bit more.

Sorry I don't have more to tell, but I got caught up talking.

Mal_In_Oz's gear list:Mal_In_Oz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow