1Ds mkIII for weddings or another 5D mkII?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Toranaga
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
1Ds mkIII for weddings or another 5D mkII?
Apr 26, 2012

I currently have a 5D mkII and a 1D mkIII wich I use to shoot weddings. I like the IQ aof the 5D mkII a LOT more than the 1D mkIII, but I really need something with good AF for when they are walking in and out of the church. The unusable outer focus points of the 5D mkII really blows, because I have found them very unreliable.

I would love the 5D mkIII, but really cannot afford it. Instead I was looking at a used 1Ds mkIII wich is priced at almost half the 5D mkIII price. It looks like it performs pretty well at ISO3200, but my main concern would be if I can live with ISO3200 as the max ISO. I do use my 35 1.4 and 85 1.2 during low light, but still shoot a lot of high ISO as I do not use flash unless absolutely needed.

Also for shooting formals with 5D mkII and 85 1.2 I often shoot shallow dof at f2 or even wider. Again the poor outer focus points of the 5D mkII really sucks, so I have begun using a monopod and liveview to get focus, but it would really be nice to have reliable focus points, so again thinking the 1Ds mkIII would be better?

If anyone is using 1Ds mkIII for weddings I would love to hear what they think, thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow